Friend Friday--Copy Cat!
1. What are the 'unwritten rules' about copying content that we bloggers should all abide by?
The same ‘unwritten rules” apply for any artistic content. At the very least, credit the source—even if it isn’t an exact copy—cite your inspiration. A link is even better!
2. They say imitation is the highest form of flattery. But when is a post imitation and when is it copying?
To me, imitation is using parts; copying is using the whole thing. We all get inspired and take pieces of what we see around us. Sometimes it may be unconscious. Sometimes a great thought may come simultaneously to two people. But if the imitation/inspiration is consciously done, then please cite the source.
3. Taking another blogger's idea (perhaps for an outfit, or DIY tutorial) is pretty common in the blogging world. Do you think it is necessary to credit the original source?
Yes, for me, it’s about being professional. After all, almost everything has been done sometime before!
4. How have you improved your blog by comparing it to other bloggers? Have you made changes due to something you have seen others doing?
Absolutely! I have my paradigm blogs—and I hope I have thanked the blogger personally for the idea or inspiration, which I would do via email.
5. Have you ever had one of your posts copied by another blogger or publication? How did you handle the situation?
Maybe—but I am pretty new at this so I wouldn’t assume it was my blog they were imitating! If it did happen to me, I would probably address the issue privately via email. If it happened again, I would make mention of it in another way.